Course Tutor: Dan French
Course Location: Queen Elizabeth Country Park, South Downs.
Course timings: 9-7 Day one. 9-5 Day two.
Course cost: £195
The Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award is the entry point for most aspirant mountain bike leaders, enabling qualified leaders to use their experience to safely guide others on off-road terrain. The award is ideal for anyone with experience in mountain biking, who is either working in the outdoor sector, volunteering at a club or simply has a personal interest in gaining additional skills. These skills can be used to go out on a mountain bike, be safe and have fun.
Following registration for the award, learners book a two-day training course with a British Cycling accredited provider. A one-day practical assessment will follow after a consolidation period agreed with your tutor. This allows sufficient time for you to hone all those new skills and knowledge you have obtained during training.
The course covers a wide variety of topics including:
- planning and delivery of appropriate rides or your group
- leading techniques for effective group management
- map reading and navigation for a flowing journey
- management of accidents and emergency situations
- equipment set-up and trailside repairs
- core mountain bike techniques
To attend the training you will need to:
- Be 18 years old or over.
- Have mountain biking experience in a variety of terrain and weather conditions.
- Be competent in the techniques and skills required to safely negotiate the typical trail features encountered in the Level 2 environment. As a general guide this is comparable to red-graded purpose-built trails.
- Hold a current two-day outdoor First Aid certificate (this can be undertaken at a later date, but ideally is submitted shortly after assessment). For further details on context and outdoor industry best practice guidelines please see the requirements under band 3 within the Insitute of Outdoor Learning first aid statement.
- You will need to provide your tutor with a logbook of evidence of your recent rides in appropriate terrain (we recommend a minimum of 15 quality rides in the 12 months prior to assessment, four of which should be 4 hours or more in duration). A logbook will be sent to you upon registering for the awards (discuss alternative methods for logging the information required with your tutor). The logbook should provide evidence not only of the location, duration and route of the rides but also demonstrate to the tutor your ability to self-reflect on each ride, for example, how you performed, how the conditions impacted the experience, if you had been leading a group what might you have had to consider? We strongly encourage learners to conduct as much riding and navigation as possible outside of a trail centre environment in preparation for training and assessment.
What do we consider to be a quality ride in preparation for training and assessment as a Mountain Bike Leader?
- Involvement in planning and leadership.
- Adverse conditions may be encountered and map based navigation skills required.
- Experience of terrain and weather comparable to UK conditions.
- Attention is paid to safety, increasing knowledge and practising skills.
- The ride will include sections of technical difficulty which reflect the Level 2 or 3* environment (*as appropriate).
- Journeys are likely to contain a proportion of ascent and descent throughout.
Learners must have an appropriate level of physical fitness for a day’s riding in the level 2 leading environment. This environment is as follows:
- is rideable at walking speed
- is rollable on descents so that wheels are not required to leave the ground
- has an obvious line choice
- is 90% rideable by the entire group
- is no more than half an hour’s walk from where an ambulance can get to
- the maximum leader-to-rider ratio should not exceed 1:8
- is during daylight in normal summer and intermediate seasonal conditions.
British Cycling website: Please click here
Mountain Biking on Exmoor!
To book, or enquire: email@example.com or call 07976 208279.
Courses can be delivered at a variety of locations across the South West, as well as bespoke packages. Please contact us for full details.