BRITISH CYCLING LEVEL 2 MOUNTAIN BIKE LEADERSHIP AWARD
Assessment dates – Please click here
Refresher courses – Please click here
Course overview The Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award is ideal for anyone with experience in mountain biking, who is either working or looking to work in the outdoor sector or simply has a personal interest in gaining all the information needed to go out on their mountain bike, be safe and have fun. The majority of the training is practical and takes place out on the trail in some of the best MTB areas in the South West UK. A practical assessment will follow after a consolidation period of approximately six weeks allowing sufficient time for you to hone all those new skills and knowledge you have obtained during training.
Course content The course covers a wide variety of topics including:
- Planning and delivery of rides that are appropriate for your group.
- Leading techniques for effective group management.
- Map reading and navigation for a flowing journey.
- Management of accidents and emergency situations.
- Equipment set-up and trailside repairs.
- Core mountain bike techniques.
Pre-requisites To attend the training you will need to:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have mountain biking experience in a variety of terrain and weather conditions.
- Be competent in the techniques and skills required to safely negotiate the typical trail features encountered at this level of award (as a general guide this is comparable to red graded purpose built trails).
- Have an appropriate level of physical fitness for a day’s riding in the level 2 leading environment*
- Hold a current two-day outdoor First Aid certificate issued by an HSE registered provider (this can be handed in at a later date, but must be submitted before assessment)
- You will need to provide us with logbook evidence of having undertaken a minimum number of rides in the appropriate terrain within the last 6-12 months. A logbook will be sent to you prior to training.
Assessment Please see the calendar for our assessment dates. Assessment for the Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award consists of a practical assessment and a written assignment. Practical assessment The practical assessment consists of an all-day mountain bike journey during which each candidate will be assigned to lead a section of the assessment route of up to 10km working with a ratio of 1:5. You will be expected to deliver a flowing journey whilst demonstrating good leadership and navigational skills. The assessment procedure is informal and is designed to help you develop your skills as a mountain bike leader. The group you lead can consist of other riders who are also being assessed on the same day and/ or riders who are there, simply to fulfil the role as participants on the ride. Written assignment The written assignment is an open book home study task and comprises of a range of short answer questions. This task is based on the information included in the British Cycling Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Handbook and other resources provided on the course. Once payment has been received for your assessment place, the assessment questionnaire will be sent to you via e-mail (paper copies are available upon request) and should be returned to your course provider no later than seven days prior to your practical assessment date. Please ensure you allow plenty of time to complete and return the questionnaire before your assessment day. Registration with British Cycling’s Mountain Bike Leadership Programme Prior to booking onto a training course you need to register with British Cycling’s MTB Leadership Programme at a one-off cost of £120. We will then provide you with the training manual, log book, free Ride Membership valid for one year and your log in details for the online learning programme NSPCC Child Protection Awareness in Sport and Active Leisure which you need to complete as part of your pre-course work. Cost of qualification Training course £200 – Please see the calendar at the top of this page for our next available course Assessment £100 – Please see the calendar at the top of this page for our next available assessment
One-off BC registration £120
- Dan French has over 20 years of mountain biking experience, 14 years of guiding experience and 7 years of delivering mountain biking leadership courses.
- Fantastic mountain biking locations on Exmoor, The Quantocks & Dartmoor.
- Specialized Rockhopper Comp Mountain Bikes available for hire (in the case of a major mechanical).
- Ability to bring the course to your location for a bespoke service.
- We deliver a fun, relaxed informative course in a beautiful location!
Book online! Click the orange box in the corner, or drop us an e-mail.